STSYR oversees school transportation for the York Catholic District School Board
Student Transportation Services of York Region (STSYR) is the transportation consortium for the York Catholic District School Board (YCDSB) and the York Region District School Board (YRDSB). STSYR provides service to more than 56,000 students in 300+ schools, covering more than 90,000 kilometers daily. STSYR works closely with school bus operators to help ensure safe, reliable transportation is provided to students.
Important Transportation Reminders
- During the summer months, school bus routes are under construction as Transportation Planners make changes for the upcoming school year. Please check the “Find Your Bus Stop” tab on the STSYR website after August 19, 2021 to confirm your child’s transportation for September.
- All students in Grades 1-12 will be required to wear a mask while they wait for the bus at their designated pick up location and while riding the bus. Students in Kindergarten are strongly encouraged to wear masks as well. For the latest information regarding COVID-19 Transportation Protocols, please visit the COVID-19 page on the STSYR Website.
- Parents/guardians and students are encouraged to develop alternate care/transportation arrangements, in the event of a service disruption. Service disruptions, including route delays or cancellations, will be reported through the Late Bus Report on the STSYR website. Please refer to the Late Bus Report prior to leaving for the Bus Stop in the morning and afternoon.
- During the first two weeks of school, students should arrive at their bus stop 10 minutes early. After this, students are asked to arrive 5 minutes early as each bus route develops its regular routine and service times.
- Parents/guardians should review their school transportation responsibilities to ensure students’ safe travel to and from school.
Do I Qualify for Transportation?
According to the Board’s Transportation Policy students may qualify for busing if they live:
- +1.2 km from their school, and are in JK – Grade 3
- +1.6 km from their school, and are in Grades 4 – Grade 8
- +4.8 km from their school, are in Grades 9 – 12,
- +3.2 km from their school, are in Grades 9 – 12, and live in an area without access to municipal transit
Please note that transportation eligibility may change from previous years if your child is starting Grade 4 or starting Grade 9. Parents of students entering Grade 4 and Grade 9 may confirm their transportation eligibility by accessing the Find Your Bus Stop tab at www.schoolbuscity.com . Secondary students not eligible for transportation who wish to obtain York Region Transit information should visit their website at www.yrt.ca or phone 1-866-668-3978.
For more detailed information, please see the Board’s Transportation Policy.
What if I have a Question or Concern?
If you have transportation related questions or concerns, please first confirm your child’s transportation after August 19th via www.schoolbuscity.com. For transportation inquiries related to:
- Elementary school, please contact the front office of your child’s school on or after August 26, 2021.
- Secondary school, please contact the front office of your child’s school on or after August 23, 2021.
STSYR will work directly with schools and transportation service providers to prioritize transportation requests. Parents/guardians should be prepared to make alternative arrangements until such time as they are advised by the school.
For more information, or to review Frequently Asked Transportation related questions, please visit: http://net.schoolbuscity.com/faq.
Rider Safety Programs – Getting ready to ride the bus!
The STSYR website has great tips, information and videos regarding school bus safety. If your child is a first-time rider, or has taken the bus before, watching school bus safety videos with your child is a great way to prepare for going back to school. Please visit the STSYR Safety webpage for more information.